FirsTime Writing To Get Published July 8 to July 12, 2000

Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Personal Essay by CP

Six-and-a-half time out of ten, I'm watching cable tv and an R rated horror movie comes on as a commercial.

This should stop. Just imagine a 7-year-old kid is watching his favorite baseball team beat up on their rival. Then a commercial comes on. with a nice catchy tune about burgers...then out of nowhere a scary trailer comes.! The kid closes his eyes but not in time. This kid will have a hard time sleeping tonight just because of a minute-and-a-half of a horror commercial. This has to stop.

The scenario I described has happened to me a multitude of times in my 11 years of life. I know that there are plenty of people who like horror movies.

I have no problem with horror movie trailers on adult targeting programs and channels.

But do we really need them to be a trailer for a G rated movie at the movie theater? 
The answer's, "No."

But one thing that really bothers me about this is when a tv channel says it's playing “a family friendly program” and then five minutes, later whoop-de-do a horror movie trailer!

I'm not saying these things happen all the time, in fact in my area I think the number is going down, but we can make them go down more. People can keep watching horror movies and trailers, but if channels keep putting horror trailers on sites that young children watch, we might be giving children a hard time.

And that's not ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment