FirsTime Writing To Get Published July 8 to July 12, 2000

Tuesday, July 9, 2024

The Farmers Market by AM

When I was 5 years old my mother had been invited to her first Farmers market. If you don’t know what Farmers market is, it’s a group of small businesses that set up stands in our park. My mom has a small business Indian - Meal - Kit or IMK for short. I was so excited when we got there, I was going to help my mom sell her stuff! But like every other kid, I got distracted easily. While I was exploring the market I smelled something wonderful like a mix of pancakes, candle scents, rolled ice cream, and more! The fresh dew on the morning grass provided a fresh sensation which was also pleasing to look at. A little ways from our family’s stand was a food van, but instead of a window it came out as a staircase with toys, games, and ice cream. The van was called Kids Cavern and had a couple of adults watching over the kids there. I secretly scammed the lady saying I had two siblings getting two popsicles (my sister was at home)!

I was wandering around the far end of the market and I saw an old lady sitting on a bench alone. Well not completely alone, but with a bag of apples surrounded by squirrels? I asked her why she was sitting alone, and she told me she wasn't. She said she was feeding the future generation of pests. I asked why and she said “everyone has an important role to play in this community and mine is keeping these cute pests under control” she said in a playful tone.“But how do you figure out what your job in the community is?” I asked in wonder. “ You know when you find something you are good at.” “So you are good at feeding squirrels?” I said confused. “ Ha ha no, I just took the job no one wanted!”

I walked back to my mom’s stand and thought about what the old lady said. About being a part of our community, and what you could do to help. So that day I was my mom’s salesperson, that was going to be my job in the market. I loved to talk to people and didn't mind being said no to. By the end of the day we had sold all of our food and drinks! I told my parents what had happened earlier with the old lady, and they were proud I helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment